Yeast washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spinout

Reaction score
I just gathered 2 types of yeast, a London ale on the left and a California ale on the right. I know what to do with the lighter California ale, the yeast layer is obvious. What the heck do I do with the London yeast though? I was hoping to use it this weekend. Do I make a big starter and only dump 1/2 in, then decant and only use what I can tell is yeast, or is this a strain that just won't seperate from the trub?

I don't even rinse my yeast- all of my look like that last photo (more or less). I'd make a starter to make sure it's viable yeast, and use the "more yeast sediment" or whatever that setting is on mrmalty.com for the yeast pitching calculator, and not sweat it!

Can "Yeast Washing Illustrated" be un-sticky-ified?

After reading your great blog and reading other threads I no longer rinse my yeast.

Rack beer
Pour yeast/ trub cake into sanitized jars.
So easy

image.jpg

I'm with the others. There's no need to be washing yeast. Pitch it as-is and use MrMalty to figure out how much you need.

Ditto, ditto. Yeast like beer. Keep it happy. I have kept yeast alive under beer for over a year. Yeast has even been harvested out of bottles found in sunken ships after many years.

You can always shake it then decant after a set amount of time. you could at least cut out half of that trub

First, sorry the pic is sideways....I promise it's landscape in the gallery, it just posted in portrait.
Second, I'm on an Android tablet and when I go to MrMalty it directs me to an app in the play store, does the website have all the info when accessed from a PC, or is it a pay site? I have a brewers friend account, but their yeast calculator doesn't offer anything other than calculators for liquid or dry.....or am I missing it?

Typically cell density is 1-2 billion per ml of settled slurry. Closer to 1 if you have a lot of protein from the wort, closer to two if you were good about doing a whirl pool and only transferring the clear wort.

Typically cell density is 1-2 billion per ml of settled slurry. Closer to 1 if you have a lot of protein from the wort, closer to two if you were good about doing a whirl pool and only transferring the clear wort.

Perfect, I have right at 1 liter of the slurry and it came from an IPA, so I'll assume the lower density even though I strain through a mesh filter when going into the fermenter.
And since I'm making a beer that calls for 800+ billion, I guess I'm using both bottles of sludge.....err, um slurry

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back