yeast washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean6120

Reaction score
so i racked my beer to seconday about two weeks ago and still have the yeast cake in the primary which has been sealed at room temp is it to late to wash that yeast for future brews.

Your yeast may still be good if it is under a layer of beer. This would be the same as the yeast being under the full volume of the fermentor before racking.

Today I pitched 2.5 gallons of a sour complete with trub and yeast cake into a 2.5 gallon simple brew with 5 pounds of 2 row........ the sour was nearly a week in the fermenter and had stopped many days ago. The result was phenomenal........ Within one hour it was "popcorn farts"........ You couldn't hear the individual bubbles, it was like a machine gun!! The object was to dilute the sour. It will be fermented out in less than 24 hours. There's a LOT of energy in that yeast cake!!

H.W.

Back