Yeast washing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wegz15

Reaction score
First time washing yeast. In the attached picture I want the top stuff correct? The bottom is hot break and hops?

ForumRunner_20110928_114600.jpg

Let that settle a bit more. You should have three layers: a clear liquid layer, a creamy off-white layer and a layer that looks like it's speckled with stuff in it.

That creamy white layer is your yeast.

Let that settle a bit more. You should have three layers: a clear liquid layer, a creamy off-white layer and a layer that looks like it's speckled with stuff in it.

That creamy white layer is your yeast.

Braufguss.

I have been washing for a while and had decent sucess. Lately I've had a few off flavors that have me analyzing my process.

Do you use an auto siphon to remove the yeast when you are washing?

Thus far I have just been washing in one container...dumping off most of the clear liquid layer...shaking the remainder and then pitching.

Whats your process? any reccomendations?

Sorry to OP...I hope I'm not hijacking your post but I thought it relevent based upon your original question.

R

No worries. I think I can use all the help. Figured if give washing a shot this time around.

If you follow the sticky in this section you will be fine. I recently washed for the first time and had great results. Its so easy. :mug: The big key from my one and only experience is letting the stuff settle to the bottom and trying to get as little sediment into the jars.

After several weeks in the fridge.
2011-09-23212722.jpg

Back