Yeast Washing Mishap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolves63

Reaction score
I washed yeast several month ago and placed said yeast into 6 pint jars. These jars were then used in one gallon batches of beer I was making. When racking to bottles I tasted the beer and it had a great flavor. After bottle conditioning I have just started opening the beers and I am getting problems with slightly vinegar based flavors and no head retention. Did I mess up the yeast wash and get bacteria in with it? This isn't with just 1 of the batches but 4 separate batches using the washed yeast. I doubt I would have 4 contaminated batches due to unsanitary procedures when bottling. A little help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It sounds like that may well be your culprit. Unless the harvested yeast has a bunch of hop trub in it, I no longer believe that rinsing it presents any real benefit. I stopped doing it several months ago.

Back