Yeast Viability Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scurry64

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter and before I pitched it I became concerned with is viability. The yeast was very active at the beginning of the starter process, but towards the end, I didn't see any signs of activity. I pitched it anyway.

My question is, how long should I wait for signs of fermentation before Zi pitch another package of yeast?

Your starter will slow and stop just like a beer. We don't have enough info to even start here really though. How long was your starter around? Was it on a stir plate? Why were you concerned to begin with? You have living yeast in there, that's a fact. How large was your starter and what was your batch size and og? Its going to ferment, if you way under-pitched it will just be slower and maybe not as clean. But the fact you made a starter to begin with suggest you pitched more then a vial of yeast. You should ferment just fine.

I made a yeast starter and before I pitched it I became concerned with is viability. The yeast was very active at the beginning of the starter process, but towards the end, I didn't see any signs of activity. I pitched it anyway.

My question is, how long should I wait for signs of fermentation before Zi pitch another package of yeast?

Everything looks totally normal except "I" was replaced by "Zi" everywhere. Huh?

[edit: looks like you are editing to fix... didn't show up in this quote - odd]

I followed the procedure recommended by George Clayton Cone of Lallemand, the makers of Lalvin yeasts.

I dissolved on package of dry yeast (the yeast that comes with the Isand Mist kit) in one cup of 100 degree f water. I added 2 oz. apple juice after 4 hours and again after another 4 hours. Finally, I added 4 oz. apple juice after four more hours and left it in a covered pyrex bowl for 8 hours. I also added about 1/4 tsp. yeast nutrients before adding the yeast.

My OG was 1.059. I think it's beginning to ferment because all the vodka in the S-shaped airlock has moved to one side.

Oh,and passedpawn, Zi did edit the OP. ;-)

Back