Yeast Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milo_leon

Reaction score
hello everyone!

we just brewed our first 12gal batch on our new eBIAB system. We split the wort into 6g fermenters and we pitched the yeast we had on hand, WLP001 (cali yeast) and WY1056 (american yeast).

since we will be doing split batches, we started thinking about making the beer in each fermenter stand out on their own so we thought about experimenting with different yeast flavors. that way we can get two "different" beers with the same wort.

any yeast suggestions that could set each batch apart/create a difference in flavors (especially for IPAs and stouts)?

As I'm sure you are aware, 001 and 1056 are basically the same yeast.

There are so many yeasts out there, that giving recommendations is almost limitless and very dependent on the base wort.

Just a note; Stone IPA is brewed with an English yeast, while their Cali-Belgie Ale is the same beer brewed with Duvel yeast.

As I'm sure you are aware, 001 and 1056 are basically the same yeast.

There are so many yeasts out there, that giving recommendations is almost limitless and very dependent on the base wort.

Just a note; Stone IPA is brewed with an English yeast, while their Cali-Belgie Ale is the same beer brewed with Duvel yeast.

yes, the 001/1056 was what sparked our discussion. we are looking to create totally different batches, so one idea i thought of was do one fermenter a clean yeast like 001/1056/etc and the other one more fruity/estery yeast like Belgium yeast. we are looking for good "yeast combinations" that can set each fermenter apart.

for base wort - we do brew a lot of IPAs (especially NEIPAs) and stouts/porters. sometimes a brown ale/red ale here and there. hopefully this helps?

Latest posts

Back