Yeast Sub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mishraile

Reaction score
Ok...
Brewing an Oatmeal Stout...
Recipe I am sampling from calls for wlp051 for yeast. Trying to decide if I can use a US-05 I have on hand, or should I go ahead and buy the yeast. SO ...I have two questions...

1. Will there be strong differences if I use US-05?

2. Wouldn't an Oatmeal stout do better with a british yeast anyways? If so, suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time.

I haven't used the 051, but have made plenty of stouts with 05. I don't think you can go wrong with 05 in a stout - unless you're shooting for some really specific yeast profile from the yeast.

That is encouraging. Brewing for a little competition our club does locally. Actually the first stout I have ever made (brewing 2.5 years) so I am not expecting to place, but figured I better learn the stouts eventually right?

Question three

base malt: UK 2 Row vs Maris Otter (any real difference?)

base malt: UK 2 Row vs Maris Otter (any real difference?)

Again, I think the darker malts will probably mask the subtle differences. I've never used MO personally, though so my opinion may not be worth much.

For recipes I've done that have called have called for MO, I've always subbed 2-row plus a bit of victory.

I am a big fan of MO, myself, little more biscuit in there. But noticed that UK 2 row was 3 SRM like MO, and US 2 row is 2 SRM, so was wondering if it was basically the same thing.

Do you mean US 2-row? UK 2-row and Maris Otter are the same thing. Really depends on what you're going for. If you're looking for a rich flavorful stout, I'd use MO. If youre looking for a lighter, dry stout, US 2-row.

Naw, I actually meant UK 2 row, saw it listed in Beersmith, and wondered if it was the same as MO.

Listed as 3L , just like MO. US 2 Row is listed as 2L.

Maris Otter is a cultivar (type) of UK two row barley. All MO is UK two row, not all UK two row is MO.

That said, most UK pale malts are higher in color than most US pale malts.

Back