Yeast Storage Life Under Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipmunk

Reaction score
Couple of questions about starters and storing yeast:
1. Does yeast from an overbuilt starter last significantly longer in the fridge than yeast collected at the end of a fermentation?
2. If you wanted to extend the life of yeast collected and stored in the fridge - would there be any benefit to “feeding” the yeast? Like adding some fresh wort after a couple of months of storage in the fridge?

I believe you would need to warm it back to feed it.

I would think the yeast from an over built starter would survive better than yeast that went through a full fermentation, but don't have any proof. If you are trying to go more than a couple months there are better ways to ranch yeast like slants and freezing.

I have revived over built starters(and from fermentors) that were like a year old. I have also had some that did not fair so well so you need to go on a case by case basis.

I always allow my starters to sit at room temp for about 8 hours to allow them to build up reserves before putting in the fridge.

Back