Yeast storage containers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use pint mason jars. I find that they yield about 50 ml of compacted slurry once the yeast has settled out.

Right now I'm using pint mason jars, but I just ordered 30 soda bottle preforms (the same/similar thing to what white labs yeast comes in) to store yeast because the mason jars are encroaching on valuable beer space in my kegerator/fridge-thing. My plan is to use the mason jars to settle the yeast out, and then once its all settled out, decant off most of the liquid, and then transfer the remaining yeast and liquid to the sanitized vials.

I also see this leading to me maintaining more strains of yeast because I think I can fit four vials of yeast in the same space that one jar uses. So when I wash a batch of yeast and wind up with 5 jars of yeast, I'd have room for 20 vials of yeast :)

We use clear beer and the even shorter cooler bottles with washed yeast then slightly overfilled with distilled water and capped. My sister who can's fruit thought capped bottles would be a safer air tight container than mason jars lids if your not vacuum pressure canning the lid tight. Although most others use jar lids fine so its probably personal preference. This week was able to re-use over one year old Wyeast 1028 capped beer bottle stored in a mini beer fridge.

In the yeast washing sticky thread some just scoop out a couple oz's of washed yeast from a refrigerated single washed yeast container(2L bottle, large mason jar, etc) successfully for multiple uses but not sure about long term storage success and this potentially risks contaminating the entire batch.

I used 8 oz water bottles. I wash the yeast, then drain off the liquid and add the rest to an 8 oz water bottle, leave it in the fridge till I need it. Then toss it into a starter and It will take off right away. I do Leave some of the cake with it. So I don't have to toss in fermentation helper. Works great, but It's taking over my beer fridge anyway.

Yeah- I figured I'd just get some pint/quart mason jars but I really like the soda preforms idea. But I'll be bottling tomorrow and have neither. Can I use bottles?

Back