Yeast starter's impact on FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrueLeaf2011

Reaction score
Anyone know how to figure out the impact of adding a 2 liter yeast starter on the wort's OG? I overshot my OG at 1.066, my target was 1.059. Post boil volume was 6 gallons. I was in a rush to finish up and didn't have any, filtered boiled water to add. I figured adding the full undecanted starter would help lower the OG. The starter's OG was 1.045, 2ltr with 2 packs of wyeast French saison yeast. Thanks!

Are we talking WY3711? That yeast is a machine. A 2 liter starter, with two packs of it will bring your FG under 1.010 without and problems. As far as calculating the FG exactly, I do not know of a way. I've played with 3711 a little, and no matter how high I mash I end of around 1.006.

That's the one. My first time using it. I was actually afraid it would stall out but it's unstoppable. My FG was 1.004. Trying to figure out if my abv is 8.2% or hopefully somewhere closer to 7%.

3711 is a serious beast. i've never heard of it stalling, and never had it stall. if your numbers are right, you have a 7.8%. i never use more than 1 pack of it

lumpher said:
3711 is a serious beast. i've never heard of it stalling, and never had it stall. if your numbers are right, you have a 7.8%. i never use more than 1 pack of it

Thanks, is that lower than 8.2% because of the starter volume?

Back