Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim_s

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Tomorrow is the big day and I am going to try my first brew. I have the Brewers Best English Red Ale and I was curious if I should make a yeast starter or not?

Ah! 15 minutes before and Lallemand/Danstar does not recommend proofing.

To answer your question, you need to tell us what kind of yeast you're planning to use.

If you're using dry yeast (Safale S-04 might be appropriate for an English red ale), then no, you don't need a starter.

However, if you've decided to use a liquid yeast, then a starter 24 hours in advance would be appropriate.

Ah! 15 minutes before and Lallemand/Danstar does not recommend proofing.

Any time I've used dry yeast I proof it. Lag time is lessened by a few hours. 100*F water allowed to cool to room temp and stir in the dry yeast about 15 minutes before you are ready to pitch.

My first 3 batches were with Brewer's Best kits. The instructions are very out of date with best practices. For example, you want to rehydrate your dry yeast and you do not need to use a secondary vessel. I found that they finish on average about 16 days after brew day and are clear enough to transfer to a bottling bucket on day 21 to 24. Bottle conditioning takes anywhere from 6 days to 3 weeks, depending on the beer.

Don't rely on the airlock to tell you when fermentation is complete. Only a hydrometer sample will tell you if the beer is done. I always sampled on day 10 and again on day 13. If the same both times it is safe to bottle or if you are kegging, cold crash it if you have the ability for 3 days.

Latest posts

Back