Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter on Friday night I wasn't able to brew this weekend as planned, how long will this last until it goes bad? I plan on brewing tomorrow (Tuesday)!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It has a foam plug in the top, and should I still put it in the fridge if I'm going to use it tomorrow?

I just logged in to ask this myself. Same thing happened for me this weekend. Made the starter Friday night and moved it to the fridge yesterday afternoon hoping I could get to brewing this evening.

I just logged in to ask this myself. Same thing happened for me this weekend. Made the starter Friday night and moved it to the fridge yesterday afternoon hoping I could get to brewing this evening.

Let your starter warm on counter to room temp before pitching, gotta let those yeasties wake up from the cold nap

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I read somewhere that if you used extra light DME it was not necessary to decant, as the small amount of beer in the starter wouldn't change the flavor!

I read somewhere that if you used extra light DME it was not necessary to decant, as the small amount of beer in the starter wouldn't change the flavor!

It's really not necessary. Unless it was a large starter. In fact if you nit pick the science of yeast in suspension you are actually just getting rid of viable yeast as they are still in suspension even after a cold crash. So if it's like a one liter starter for five gallons of beer you could just pitch it all. Just keep in mind the beer in that starter is typically made without temp control and has been exposed to a lot of oxygen (stir plates or shaking) so it may taste awful and a good bit of it could change the flavor of your wort which is why many of us just decant.

I started out with 3 cups of water to 1 cup of extra light DME, its in the fridge now, would you decant that small amount about 575 ml.

That is the biggest starter I have ever made and usually get active fermentation in 1-2 hours. Why would you need to make a bigger for a 5 gal batch?

That is the biggest starter I have ever made and usually get active fermentation in 1-2 hours. Why would you need to make a bigger for a 5 gal batch?

Not saying it won't make beer, but generally the higher the OG you need more healthy yeast (larger starter to make more yeast) to handle the higher alcohol. Not enough yeast in that scenario would leave your beer being just ok and not what it could potentially be.

Not saying it won't make beer, but generally the higher the OG you need more healthy yeast (larger starter to make more yeast) to handle the higher alcohol. Not enough yeast in that scenario would leave your beer being just ok and not what it could potentially be.

What he said. Fermenting temp also affects you yeast needs which is why you typically need larger starters for lagers. When I make a lager my starters are usually between 3 & 5 liters.

I used 3 cups of water I cup of extra light DME and a vial of California Ale Yeast WLP001 I made it Friday expected to use it Sunday, brewing right now, the starter is 575 ml, it has been at a constant 76-78 degrees. I'm going to pitch it tonight!

What I don't get is the some what talk: technically if you decant you are wasting good yeast, but if don't you will me pouring oxygen enriched oxidized beer in to your wort...wish leads me to ask, well would you or wouldn't you just pour the 575 ml in? I have one confirmed yes but do not know they? I have made several batches with yeast starters and have never decanted! Never had an problem with off flavors. I am not trying to be a smartass, I just am trying to learn! Even though I haven't had a problem with taste past, doesn't mean decanting may be better. The science of this whole process excited me. I have been brewing for 4-5 years now and I just want to soak up as much knowledge as possible!

Your starter is half a liter which is very small. Think if you were going to add 3-4 liter starter to 5 gallons. That's much more fermented beer your adding to the batch if you didn't decant. I would pitch up to a liter myself :)

Your starter is half a liter which is very small. Think if you were going to add 3-4 liter starter to 5 gallons. That's much more fermented beer your adding to the batch if you didn't decant. I would pitch up to a liter myself :)

I agree with this.

Back