Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
Guys

I made a yeast starter on Tuesday and it seems like is all done but my question is some people tell me to put it in the fridge a day before brewing but I was thinking on leaving it out and just pour it right into my wort. I plan to brew my Cream Ale this Sunday. Is it better to put it in the fridge or just leave it out?

Related question:

When using a starter, do you still have to aerate the wort? If the yeast uses all the oxygen it needs during the lag/growth/whatever phase in the starter (well aerated and degassed frequently), then it shouldn't need any in the wort. Right?

Related question:

When using a starter, do you still have to aerate the wort? If the yeast uses all the oxygen it needs during the lag/growth/whatever phase in the starter (well aerated and degassed frequently), then it shouldn't need any in the wort. Right?

The wort needs to be aerated because the yeast will go through another growth phase when it is pitched.

IME, you can do either pitch the whole thing or cold crash and pitch the slurry. I would think with a style like a cream ale (not much room for off flavors) you would benefit from just pitching slurry. In a different beer, say an IPA for example, there would be little to no chance for those off flavors and I would say dump the whole thing.

Its up to you basically!

so my yeast starter failed...I made it 5 days ago from an activator pak, it was going so well but I dont know where it went wrong. The yeast starter was foaming 1 hour after i pitched it. It was so violet that it was foaming out the airlock so I moved it to a bigger container and thats when it when wrong i think, after I moved the yeast it just stopped i didnt see any more foaming after that. I left it out of the fride for 3 days then I put it in the fride to brew the following day. I brew my beer Sunday and pitched the starter and it has been 19 hours and so far no action in the airlock. Any suggestions?

The most recent (and first) starter I made did the same thing. There was a great deal of action in the starter, but when added to the cooled wort, it took about a day and a half to see any activity in the airlock.

If your wort is under 70, it will slow the progress, be more patient. It doesn't sound like you've got a problem unless 3 days go by with no visible activity.

The only reason I even made a starter was because I had this White Labs yeast for a while and wanted to make sure it was viable before I pitched it. The previous time I used a liquid White Labs yeast, I just pitched it directly and activity was going in less than 2 hours.

Putting the starter in the fridge deactivated the yeast. I'm sure they were still alive, so give it time. You did put the slurry in, correct? Not just the liquid in the starter...

What gravity wort did you use in the starter? If it was low, that would explain the initial burst and then the dormancy too.

The gravity of the starter was 1.040, Its been since Sunday at 7pm and is now Tuesday still and no action. I think the yeast is dead, but what killed them i have no idea, i just hope the beer is not infected. i will go out today and buy 2 activators and pour them in

Back