Yeast starter working?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camonick

Mediocre brewer... Expert drinker
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tried the search function but couldn’t find an answer. I am doing my first starter right now. How do you know if it’s doing anything/ growing? I made a 1 liter starter in a 2 liter flask and it’s on a stir plate with a decent whirlpool in the center. The opening is plugged with a foam stopper. I plan to pitch it (WLP004) late tonight into an Irish Stout ≈1.044 OG. It should be 24+ hours since it was started. The pure pitch packet was not quite 3 months old and the brewer’s friend calculator says a 1 liter starter should still be large enough.
Thanks
Nick

With a stir plate, you might not see much krausen, but the color will change and become more opaque and cloudy.

With a stir plate, you might not see much krausen, but the color will change and become more opaque and cloudy.
Thank you. The color has changed considerably and I can see a bunch of CO2 rising if I look closely at the edges. I’m about 2 hours from pitching it into my wort.

Back