Yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB_Brewing2

Reaction score
This is my third yeast starter and the previous two went well and according to plan (stepped ale yeasts twice with 48 hrs. between steps). Yesterday I boiled 100 grams of DME in 1000ml of water, cooled to 70 degrees and pitched 70 degree WLP004 Irish ale yeast. Followed a strict sanitizing protocol with an aluminum foil covering the flask. Put it on the stir plate and started seeing fermentation two hours later. 24 hrs. later, no krausen or apparent fermentation. There is remnant krausen all the way to the top of the 2000 ml Erlenmeyer flask and appears to be a small amount actually on the outside of the neck. Is it done already? Time for a second step?

Yep, I bet it's done. Smell it (gently - otherwise you'll get a nose full of CO2) I bet it smells like beer.

24 hrs? It's probably done. If you're doing a second step, go ahead an crash/decant and move on to the step up.

I've even pitched my 150 ml step into the 1 L step at 6:30 a.m., and come home at 6:30 p.m. to see the telltale krausen ring, indicating that it finished in 12 hours or less.

I bet your next step goes fast, fast, fast. Might even be done when you get up tomorrow morning.

Back