Yeast starter question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikek

Reaction score
I am going to make a 2 L yeast starter for an upcoming RIS.. Can I use 2 vials of WL 007 right from the get go in the starter or will there not be enough DME in the wort to feed that many yeast from the get go.. Would I be better off making a 1 vial starter and then after 24-36 hours, cold crashing, decanting and adding new wort for 36 hours then using in the RIS?

Any advice is welcome.. thnx.

Either way would work fine. Personally I would go with the multi-step starter from 1 vial simply to minimize costs.

My concern is that on brewers friend yeast calculator, I still fall short of required yeast even two steps in to the single vial starter and with my time constraints I would rather eat the cost on an extra yeast vial than have a poor fermentation with not enough yeast..

My concern is that on brewers friend yeast calculator, I still fall short of required yeast even two steps in to the single vial starter and with my time constraints I would rather eat the cost on an extra yeast vial than have a poor fermentation with not enough yeast..

You could go either way. In the BF calculator you have the option of entering two vials of yeast resulting in DME requirements with the two vials.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc. I prefer Mr. Malty for yeast calculations. It's never done me wrong! You can adjust the calculator to account for one vial of yeast or 2. I would do it for you but I don't know what your OG is going to be. If you're shooting for 1.090 OG and you're using a stir plate: a 1L starter with the 2 vials at 1.050 should be enough.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc. I prefer Mr. Malty for yeast calculations. It's never done me wrong! You can adjust the calculator to account for one vial of yeast or 2. I would do it for you but I don't know what your OG is going to be. If you're shooting for 1.090 OG and you're using a stir plate: a 1L starter with the 2 vials at 1.050 should be enough.

OG is 1.105.. looks like 2 vials in the starter should get me there...

you can use 1 vial with a 2l starter to get 200bil and then do another 2l to hit 300bill or 3l to hit 350bill.

I'm cheap too so i'd rather do a step starter.

i do this when brewing 10gal batch with 1 vial. works well!!

Back