Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETCS

Reaction score
A couple of brews ago, I canned the last running's of wort. It had a gravity of 1.010. Can anyone tell me how much DME I should add to it to get a gravity of ≈1.040. Other than adding a little at a time until I get the gravity that I want. Thanks.

Cheers....:mug:

I'm coming up with 40g per 500ml, but will not be held accountable if it's not right. Aren't you submariners 'posed to math wizzes?:p

1) How did you figure 40g per 500ml?, because for the life of me I can't........2) I'm not a nuke!!!

1.)
d1.gif

j/k, I used beersmith.

2.):)

It depends on the volume of your starter. DME has a PPG ( points per pound per gallon ) extract of 44. So basically if you added a pound of DME to a gallon of water, you should have a 1 gallon starter with SG of 1.044.

Say you wanted a 1 quart starter. You would need about 1/4 of the amount of a 1 gallon starter, or about 4 ounces. I'm not quite sure it would be worth using the canned wort...the difference is probably only an ounce or two of DME.

Since you have canning ability, you should can starter wort at 1.040. that way you can just pop it open and go whenever you need a starter.

Latest posts

Back