Yeast starter question. Stirplate and yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
It has been 24 hours. How long after i take the flask off the stirplate does it take to form the entire yeast cake before I can decant some?

It has been almost 24 hours since i added the wort into my sanitized carboy so i kinda need to pitch

I totally forgot to make a starter. It was a 2 liter starter.

IME, if the starter was finished, you should see yeast start to precipitate out almost immediately after removing from the stirplate. If it was not completely finished and it is a low-flocculating yeast, it may not drop and form a cake yet.

If it was me, I would pitch the entire starter. (Wait for someone with not experience to confirm that this is not a terrible idea.)

Im betting the starter is not finished. I have no experience in the area of pitching a starter that isn't done but I have never had any problem pitching the whole starter. Also if your practices are good and sanitary your wort will be fine sitting for a few more days I've had it sit for almost a full week before I pitched and it was fine.

Latest posts

Back