Yeast starter not looking so good....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeljcarr

Reaction score
I did a yeast starter with a yeast that was 3 months past its "best before date" last night around 6pm and as of 11am this morning it doesn't seem to have any activity. Do you think its a no go or should I try to pitch it any way and see what happens?

Are you using a stir plate or the "occasional shaking" method?

If you're shaking, do you see any bubbles or foam form?

No stir plate. I shake it occasionally and see no bubbles, just see the yeast blend with the beer.

It may be just a lil slow getting started. I made a small starter for a 2 year old 7g Cooper's yeast packet once,& it took a bit to get going. but it worked very well indeed. Yeasties are tough lil critters. That small starter in a pale ale needed a blow off,it was so violent! So give it a lil more time & swirl it occasionally.

I'm in the process of brewing now; should I pitch the starter as is or wait to see if it comes to life after a day or two? If I don't pitch it now, what should I do to protect what I'm brewing from getting an infection?

When I do starters,I put a sanitized square of aluminum foil over the top of the flask. When rehydrating,I squeeze the dry yeast packet over the top. US-05 packets hold there shape when squeezed over the flask opening.

I'm in the process of brewing now; should I pitch the starter as is or wait to see if it comes to life after a day or two? If I don't pitch it now, what should I do to protect what I'm brewing from getting an infection?

Just put your wort in the fermenter and seal it until your yeast is ready. Won't hurt it any.

I've done plenty of these past expiration date starters, my longest lag was 5 days, just give it time and the stir plate will work its magic. You'll know you've made contact when you see krausen.

Let us know how it turns out.

Back