Yeast Starter-Need Advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerangedBrewer

Reaction score
Doing my first ever yeast starter. Brew day is Sunday and I will be gone all day on Saturday. Should I make my starter Friday night, Saturday early morning or late Saturday night?

FYI: I don't have a stir plate

I realize it probably doesn't matter, but I just wanted to get some input from those with more experience.

I was thinking of Friday night, letting it sit all night then cold crashing it until I brew. However, can I just dump it into fermenter right out of the fridge, or do I have to make a new batch of wort to warm them up first?

Thanks in advance!

It's all good. I would Go right a head and do it, cold crash it, just start warming it up when you start brewing.

I would say Friday night and no need to cold crash and decant. I let mine go from 24 to 48 hours at room temp so it's ready for perfect pitching temps. It would be a great benefit if you or someone could swirl it around frequently to keep good 02 supply available. When you return, have some fun and build a stir plate. They are alot better than swirling by hand.
Enjoy and stay safe!

If it were me...

I'd make my starter 24 hours before I had to leave. I'd stick it in a fridge to crash when I left, and when I started my brew day I'd pull it back out to warm up. Right before I pitch, I'd decant.

Don't take this as expert advice. It isn't. It's just what I'd do.

Thanks!

A stir plate is on my short "To Do" list. Parts are in the mail!

When you warm it up after a cold crash, is it best to: Boil and cool fresh wort? Boil and cool the decanted wort from the starter? Or just let the starter warm back up to room temp, give it a swirl and pitch?

I would make the starter Friday and give it a full 24 hours at 75 degrees or so (warmest place you can find in the house) and then cold crash until Sunday. Decant off most of the liquid, swirl and pitch! I know some like to pitch at high krausen but I prefer to let the start finish, cold crash and decant.

Does my Wyeast pack that is currently in the fridge need to be warmed to room temp before I "smack" it?

I will let it sit for a few hours after the "smack" prior to pitching it in starter.

Does my Wyeast pack that is currently in the fridge need to be warmed to room temp before I "smack" it?

I will let it sit for a few hours after the "smack" prior to pitching it in starter.

You can smack it cold to break the internal nutrient packet. Then let it warm up and expand a bit before pitching. The top of the refrigerator is usually a nice warm location.

Back