Yeast starter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith6292

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter prior to brew day. It was on the stir plate for about 48 hours and I was planning to brew, then life kicked in and I have to postpone. Can I put that starter in the fridge and make another “mini wort” and reuse the yeast? Or is the yeast now dead?

I made a yeast starter prior to brew day. It was on the stir plate for about 48 hours and I was planning to brew, then life kicked in and I have to postpone. Can I put that starter in the fridge and make another “mini wort” and reuse the yeast? Or is the yeast now dead?
You have healthy viable yeast. You can keep the yeast in the frig for a couple of weeks with negligible loss in viability. After a month a half liter starter wort would refresh the yeast.

It’s been in the fridge for about 2 weeks. Should I make more wort or just pitch?

It’s been in the fridge for about 2 weeks. Should I make more wort or just pitch?
Take it out of the frig the night before brewing to warm to room temperature. Decant most of the wort just before you're ready to pitch.

The next starter you could do an over build and harvest 100 billion fresh cells for the next starter. I save over builds in pint canning jars. You can also harvest the yeast from the fermentor after bottling or kegging this next brew.

Back