Yeast starter Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runkelia

Reaction score
Hello

I mistakenly bought a Wyeast 1728 smack pack with a born on date of 1/15/14, viability 10 billion cells, so I bought another dated 4/2/15 viability 67 billion cells.

My scotch ale recipe wort will be 1.056, so I made a 2000 ml 1.040 starter and pitched the (2) yeast packs.

It is now 15 hours later, on a stir plate, and I don't see any activity.

I wanted to brew tomorrow but now unsure. Any suggestions?

It's pretty common to not see a huge amount of activity in a starter if it's on a stir plate. If you want you could check the gravity to put your mind at ease that the yeast are doing their job. Make sure you clean and sanitize your hydrometer and jar. Then you can dump it back in the flask when you're done checking.

Here is a picture to illustrate

P5246375.jpg

It's pretty common to not see a huge amount of activity in a starter if it's on a stir plate. If you want you could check the gravity to put your mind at ease that the yeast are doing their job. Make sure you clean and sanitize your hydrometer and jar. Then you can dump it back in the flask when you're done checking.

Agreed, your starter is probably fine. Sometimes the only thing I see is tiny bubbles rising in the flask. So tiny I have to use a flashlight and get real close to see them.

That picture looks like it's showing activity. The ring of bubbles around the edge looks like active fermentation to me

Back