Yeast starter for 10 gallon batch in 2 L flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpood

Reaction score
A friend and I are going to make a 10-gallon batch. Can I make a big enough starter for our big batch using a 2 L flask? How? Thanks!

A friend and I are going to make a 10-gallon batch. Can I make a big enough starter for our big batch using a 2 L flask? How? Thanks!

What does yeastcalc say?

My guess is you probably can, but you're going to have to step it up a number of times. Could you make a larger starter, using a bucket or carboy, and do the "intermittent shaking" thing?

What does yeastcalc say?

My guess is you probably can, but you're going to have to step it up a number of times. Could you make a larger starter, using a bucket or carboy, and do the "intermittent shaking" thing?

+1 on using yeastcalc.com

I love mrmalty, but yeast calc has multistep starter calculations.

1.074 is the SG. Looks like I need a 4 L starter, so we have agreed to make one apiece instead of trying to do a big one. That's good to know about using a carboy--I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

I currently have the same problem where I only have a 2L flask, plus my stir plate is not recommended for anything bigger. I usually make 10 gallon batches and just did a starter for the first time on last batch since it was a DIPA @ 1.079 OG. For this one we ended up using 2 yeast vials in a 2L starter. Now that we have the flask and stir plate, we plan to do starters for every batch just to be safe.

After thinking some more, I was wondering can I do a step up starter but pour off the wort before each step so that my total volume stays under my 2L flask size? I am guessing I will end up with too much yeast fighting over too little wort, but seems similar to pouring 2 vials of yeast into a 2L starter and that worked just fine. Thoughts?

Back