Yeast Starter Fiasco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlapjackAM

Reaction score
So I haven't brewed in over a year and today is yeast starter day for the ESB I'm making. If today is indicative of brew day though I'm in for a rough one. Lost half a liter to a boil over and had to hammer my long since used DME back into powder and ended up with an OG in the 1.06 range. And before I could finish I had to run to a short function. Question: am I good to boil some more water and dilute before I pitch when I get home or is that too long to sit there? I covered it with sanitized foil. I'd hate to waste it but I don't want to doom my beer. I'm out of DME though so it's this or just pitch the wyeast as is this time. Thoughts?

As long as your sanitation was good no problem. Wort will sit without yeast for over a day in the fermentor, without yeast, using the no chill method. Is not a problem as long as sanitation is good..

Everything was submerged in starsan prior to use so it should be good. I feel better. Thanks everyone.

Everything was submerged in starsan prior to use so it should be good. I feel better. Thanks everyone.

Cool. And if you're still just that little bit worried, you can always dilute and then re-boil to give yourself a little peace of mind.

Cool. And if you're still just that little bit worried, you can always dilute and then re-boil to give yourself a little peace of mind.

I should have done that, didn't think of it. But I'm a paranoid person; I'm sure it's fine. Brought it down to 1.044 and pitched it just now. Re-sanitized all my tools of course. Here's hoping. Starsan's contact time is a minute right? It was longer than that in reality anyway just curious.

Latest posts

Back