Yeast Starter Error Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrivetDriveBrewery

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I made a yeast starter on Tuesday (second time using a starter - still relatively new to brewing). I'm brewing today and meant to throw the starter in the fridge yesterday to it could settle out and forgot. I put it in this morning, how long should I keep it in the fridge/take it out of the fridge before pitching it? It's a 1.5L starter.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Interesting question. I usually plan far enough ahead to give myself 2 days of crashing in the fridge, but I understand stuff happens.

If you are really set on brewing today, I might just pitch the whole starter. I know many people do it, but I never have. With that volume and a 5 gal batch, you are talking about ~7% of your batch being that starter. Not sure what you're brewing, but I could see that making a big difference or making no difference.

Or you could always let it crash for a few hours and then try to decant off some of the starter at the top before pitching the rest, but mostly likely you will be throwing out some of the lesser flocculent yeast, so you will be selectively picking the more flocculent yeast. Not sure how that would affect your beer, but I could see it making a difference.

I'll be curious to see what others say.

I used light DME to make the starter, I'm making a Two Hearted Ale clone (so it'll be lighter in taste compared to a stout). So pitching the whole thing may impart some unwanted flavors. I may let it settle in the fridge for a while longer, I'm done brewing, my wort is chilled and sitting in the carboy just waiting for yeast now.

Back