Yeast Starter Equipment for 10 Gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarheel4985

Reaction score
I've been wanting to make yeast starters for a while now and I'm faced with a dilemma. I currently brew 10 gallon batches, about half of which are higher than 1.050 so I'm wondering would it be better to make two 2L starters (which would require 2 flasks) or would it be better just to make 4-5L starters in a 5L flask which would be split evenly between two 5 gallon fermenters. I know splitting a starter in half does not necessarily mean you get an even number of yeast in each batch, so what method is best for 10 gallon brewers who use 5 gallon fermenters? It seems the price is about the same for two 2L flasks as one 5L flask.

Also, what is a cheap source for flasks and stir plates? AHS has a stir plate that's $50 and a 2L flask for $22, which seems like a pretty good deal. The only thing I wasn't sure about was whether the flask was boroscilaiate or not because I would like to heat it directly. Anyone have experience with the stir plate or flasks from AHS?

I made 2 stir plates which cost me virtually nothing and I use 2 - 1 gallon pickle jars for my starters. The only money I put out was for the stir bars.

I prefer one starter to two every time. I have a couple 5L erly's and other various flasks 2k, 1k, and some beakers.

I bought my big flasks from Northern Brewer because they are my LHBS. Any flask will be fine, they all sell lab grade stuff, so just order from who you normally do.

I highly recommend Derrin's stir plates from brewershardware.com

Here is a picture of my setup...

Starters.JPG

So Boerderij, if you were pitching yeast for 10 gallons into 2 different fermenters, would you make 1 big starter to split between the 2 batches? Or would you make up 2 different starters since you have 2 stir plates?

William's Brewing has an inexpensive stir plate that works great. I've had mine for 2 years without any issues.

So Boerderij, if you were pitching yeast for 10 gallons into 2 different fermenters, would you make 1 big starter to split between the 2 batches? Or would you make up 2 different starters since you have 2 stir plates?

If I were brewing with the same yeast in each fermenter, I just make one starter. Then, When it is time to brew, I decant (if I made the starer enough ahead of time, which I try to do), add distilled water back to a nice even volume (e.g., 2000mL), stir up the starter to fully mix it, and decant half the culture into each vessel.

It is just less work that way and half the stuff to clean or screw up.

Often I brew with two yeasts, so I use multiple starters (obviously). I have two stir plates because it gives me flexibility. I also brew for two huge parties every year, so I am brewing around 40g in a week a couple times a year.

Gotcha, so if I'm using the same yeast, I could probably get away with one stir plate and one 2L flask? That would certainly be cheaper than 2 stir plates and 2 flasks.

I never thought about decanting, then adding water to mix the yeast and split it. That's a great idea, as it probably makes splitting the batch a bit more accurate. But you don't have to pitch the nasty starter wort.

Exactly. Swirling up the culture is key for getting an even pitch. I just put it back on the stir plate for 5 minutes or so before pitching.

I think you meant a 5L flask... But yes, either way, one setup is probably cheaper than two, even with the more expensive flask.

Back