Yeast Starter - DME vs Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaBear

Reaction score
I've seen plenty of tutorials on here for yeast starters, but they all say to use DME.

I am planning to go to my LHBS this weekend to pick up my next batch of ingredients, and I want to get my yeast going in advance so I can be ready to make my wort when I get home. (I have some in the fridge, won't be enough for what I want, and I want to confirm its still viable.)

So I thought I could make a starter. Except I don't have any DME. Can I use plain table sugar instead? I also have yeast nutrient, if I use just sugar and water, should I add some nutrient?

it is better to make your starter with DME/wort as that is what you will be pitching it into

from what I have read yeast starters made with sugar give you lazy yeast

as they have to work harder on malt sugars

all the best

S_M

I have no experience making starters with sugar. I would not recommend using it to make a starter. It lacks all the nutrients that yeast require, that is available in DME. At a very minimum, if you do go forward, add some DAP or yeast nutrients to your starter.

I agree. You want yeast to condition the yeast to digest Maltose, a more complex sugar than table sugar (sucrose).

While you're at the HBS, pick up a pound of DME. After you make your starter, seal it up well, and it will save until you need it again. Additionally, some stores sell DME by the ounce, so you could pick up just what you need for the starter and won't have to worry about storing the excess.

The yeast I'm planning to use is from a yeast wash I did on a previous batch.

My biggest concern is if I go to the store, run the starter then the yeast turn out not viable I would need to run back for another yeast.

Maybe it's just time to switch to a lager instead of another ale.

The yeast I'm planning to use is from a yeast wash I did on a previous batch.

My biggest concern is if I go to the store, run the starter then the yeast turn out not viable I would need to run back for another yeast.

Maybe it's just time to switch to a lager instead of another ale.

how old is your yeast? it takes a bit of work to kill yeast

I use washed 05 all the time and have used it after months of sitting in the fridge

if it is not real old it should be just fine, but it you feel the need to test it make your sugar water up

and drop a spoonful of your yeast in it, if the yeast takes off then you are all good

moving to a lager means bigger starters

all the best

S_M

Back