Yeast starter calcs in BeerSmith 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmendres

Reaction score
I have a Hefeweizen recipe that I'm developing/modifying in BeerSmith2 using Wyeast 3068. In the "Starter", I selected a 1 liter starter size, select stir plate, and enter a package date of yesterday (fresh yeast). It calculates that I will need one package for the starter (that seems reasonable), but it calculates that I would need 3 packages without a starter. I can see the yeast cell counts with and without a starter, so I can see why it calculated 3 packages, but I've had pretty good fermentation without a starter and using only one package with this recipe, not three (fermentation starts with 12 hours and I get very good attenuation, for a session strength brew). Am I going to see 3X improvement in fermentation performance with a starter, or am I just going to end up with a yeast "tang" taste in my brew?

With the hefeweizens, you will want ot determine the flavor your going for in determining both your pitch rate and fermentation temps. Are you looking for more banana or more clove, or a balance?

I have fermented this recipe at 70-72 degrees F, and I'm getting more banana aroma from the esters than cloves, which is OK. That's what I like. I have been using only one Wyeast 3068 smack package when pitching and getting very good results, but BeerSmith2 is telling me to use 3 packs instead. I guess use what works and only use BeerSmith as a guide. Has anyone else used this feature of BeerSmith2?

I am really thinking about using a yeast starter for every batch, but I just want to get it right and not over pitch.

Latest posts

Back