Yeast starter but no DME, what can i substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aces-n-eights

Reaction score
I want to do a starter with a liquid yeast but i don't have any DME or LME. Oooops, i know… What can i substitute to get this starter started?

Thanks!

Someone mentioned some sugar drink manufactured in Mexico, but I can't recall the name. I actually wondered if any sugar drink that wasn't carbonated would work.

No personal experience, but I've read you can use Malta Goya (which can often be purchased in the appropriate section of the grocery store). It's basically unfermented wort. That may be what @Hello is referring to. But if DME is harder to come by than base malt, just make a large batch of ~1.035 unhopped, all-base malt wort, and can it in whatever size jars you see fit with a pressure cooker. That way you've got premade starter wort ready to go, just need to dump it in the appropriate starter vessel.

I brew gluten free, and use rice syrup purchaced at the grocery store.
It makes a reasonable 1:1 substitute for LME.

Honey and yeast nutrient? It won't be good but it might be good enough...

If you have a pressure canner, or can borrow one, maybe next time you brew pull off a few pint jars of wort and can them. I made up a bunch of pints of starter wort using some LME that'd been in the freezer for many years.

I wouldn't bother with the starter then. Just direct pitch and know it will take longer to get going than with a starter. You'll only add 2-3 days to your primary. IMO.

Thanks guys! Good, fast responses - i appreciate it. I think i will be able to get this going. The suggestions to can some wort from my next brew day is brilliant. I have a pressure cooker and will definitely do that…

:mug:

Back