Yeast starter and oxygenation first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 148322

Reaction score
My Belgian Dubbel extract kit (1.060) just went into the fermentor last night. This my biggest beer ever, first with a stirred starter, first with yeast nutrient and first with oxygenation. ( can you tell I'm worried about under pitching?) does the 1 week rule apply before racking? I have a white bucket primary and can't see high krausen. I don't want to rack too soon and I don't want to open the primary for daily samples when things slow down. Any tips??

You should probably wait at least two weeks before transferring. I usually wait three. The typical rule of thumb is bigger the beer, the longer you should age it (unless it's a wheat or IPA). It will be drinkable early on, but will improve in taste after a month or so. The schedule I usually follow is:

2-3 weeks in primary
1 week in secondary (only if dry hopping)
2 weeks in bottle/keg

Also, you might want to stash some away for later. I've had some stouts keep improving in taste with up to a year of aging.

Vigo_Carpathian said:
You should probably wait at least two weeks before transferring. I usually wait three. The typical rule of thumb is bigger the beer, the longer you should age it (unless it's a wheat or IPA). It will be drinkable early on, but will improve in taste after a month or so. The schedule I usually follow is:

2-3 weeks in primary
1 week in secondary (only if dry hopping)
2 weeks in bottle/keg

Also, you might want to stash some away for later. I've had some stouts keep improving in taste with up to a year of aging.

Thanks! I was under the impression that 2 or 3 weeks was too long on the dead yeast and it would gather off flavors. Any reason you don't go to secondary for all beers? Convenience?

Good tip on saving some. I was thinking of aging, but not for that long. I'll stash a bit away for next Christmas! Should be a big enough beer to stay good I guess.

It takes longer than three weeks for the yeast to produce off flavors. No need to worry about that. Taking the beer off the yeast cake too soon can affect your beer as well. During fermentation, the yeast produce side products that need to be broken down after fermentation is complete. They only start to do this when all the consumable sugar runs out. Thats why it's important to let the beer sit on the yeast a little while after fermentation is already done.

A secondary fermenter is typically only used for clarification, dry hopping, bulk aging, or just to free up some fermenter space. It is not a necessary step and many people don't bother with it.

Tackleberry said:
Thanks! I was under the impression that 2 or 3 weeks was too long on the dead yeast and it would gather off flavors. Any reason you don't go to secondary for all beers? Convenience?

Good tip on saving some. I was thinking of aging, but not for that long. I'll stash a bit away for next Christmas! Should be a big enough beer to stay good I guess.

The yeast isn't dead- it's in suspension. Most modern yeasts don't die that quickly. I've left bigger beers on the cake for up to 4 weeks.

Beers that you aren't dry hopping or doing fruit additions generally don't need a secondary unless they are big beers. A lot of the most experienced brewers do not secondary unless the recipe needs it. Some people are even dry hopping in the primary "bucket hopping".

Aging beers in this early in the game is ambitious but probably not realistic- you'll probably drink it before you realize it's all gone. After all it's not 200 year old cognac it's just *beer*. It just gives you another reason to brew more.

Relax don't worry have a home brew

Ok, so the kit says 6 weeks fermentation, and 2 weeks bottle conditioning. So 3 to 4 in primary, then to secondary for "bulk aging" and "clarifying." Two questions:

Will the yeast "wake up" with the priming sugar for bottle conditioning or will the viability be too low after 6 weeks?

Should I cool the beer in secondary to promote flocculation? How much? Currently at 21 C... Or do I wait until after its in the bottles?

Thanks!!

Tackleberry said:
Ok, so the kit says 6 weeks fermentation, and 2 weeks bottle conditioning. So 3 to 4 in primary, then to secondary for "bulk aging" and "clarifying." Two questions:

Will the yeast "wake up" with the priming sugar for bottle conditioning or will the viability be too low after 6 weeks?

Should I cool the beer in secondary to promote flocculation? How much? Currently at 21 C... Or do I wait until after its in the bottles?

Thanks!!

2) it will wake up. You'll be fine. There's still going to be yeast in there you just can't see it.

3) up to you. Time will get most of the yeast down to the bottom. Likely you'll have crystal clear beer after secondary. I wouldn't worry so much about yeast, it doesn't ruin beer. It's not as if you are painting the Sistine chapel remember- you are just making beer. Even if you **** it up you'll still get beer that's better than 98% of commercial stuff.

Back