Yeast Start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoEasy11

Reaction score
My plan is to save on yeast by making a yeast starter and then splitting in half, pitch half and save half for the next batch.... What do you think if the best size flask? and where is the best place to purchase it?

Do you have a stir plate? I think a 5L flask would be ideal if your stir plate could handle it. I had one stir plate and one 2L beaker, and I just built another stir plate and bought another 2L beaker. The max starter I can do in one 2L beaker is like 1.6L without it fermenting over - and I use fermcap to control this. I got a good deal on a bomex beaker (good glass - harder to thermal shock and break) I found on homebrewfinds.com and my other one is just a cheap one. Both I bought on amazon. I was planning on doing kind of the same thing but splitting into 2 starters but didn't know the best way to go about this. Anyways with a 5L beaker, you could just start with 3L and be good to go. BUT - I think they're pretty spendy.

got my 4L pyrex flask for $60 off ebay I believe, 2L are half the price on amazon. I don't lager so the biggest starters i make are 3L, but a 1L starter has A LOT of surface area which I like compared to using the 2L flask. However the 4L is more of a pain to cold crash because of its size.

I yeast ranch for every one of my batches. I've got about 20 strains in my fridge right now. Personally, I just use my 2L flask and its OK. I occasionally need a blowoff with the yeast starter though. I just decant it down to 800ML or so and store maybe 200ml in a vial or mason jar for storage. The rest goes into the wort and its worked fine for me. I don't use any software to estimate yeast count though. I tend to keep the whole process pretty unscientific as far as the yeast goes. I figure its the part of brewing that we have the least control over anyway...

I think you will want a 10 gallon flask.:p

Wait!!! What size batches of beer will you be brewing and what do you expect for an OG? Those factors determine how much yeast you need.

I made a stirplate out of a computer fan. I am affraid that a 5L starter would be to much for it to handle.

I do mostly IPAs so far but am open to any type.

I guess my real question is home much to I need to save from a starter for the yeast to be viable next time?

What is your batch size?
What is your OG estimate?
What is your starter size and what did you pitch into it? (1 pack, 1 vial?)

This is not for a one time use. I am looking to find out what I should buy.

Is 2000mL to small? is 4000mL to big?

Where is the best place to purchase these flasks?

I have one 5000ml and I wish I had another, so I would suggest that size.

Any quality homebrew store should have them.

I'm with the OP, I have what I call a "mother" jar of yeast in the fridge. I build a fair sized starter, and then pour 2 or 3 oz into a clean jar, and put it in the fridge. The rest I pitch into my wort, and have been experiencing much shorter lag times. I do add a small amount of nutrient/DAP to my BK @ 15 minutes, and that probably helps shorten the lag time as well. I can't say if it drastically shortens fermentation time or not, as I normally stay in primary from 3 to 4 weeks. I have saved a lot of $8.00 yeasts costs, thereby allowing me to brew more batches within the same budget.

What size flask do you use?

Do you think a computer fan setup has the power to vortex a 5L flask?

Do you think a 2inch stir bar would work on any size? 1L to 5L?

Latest posts

Back