yeast slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean6120

Reaction score
i just racked a blond ale to secondary and due to a very low hop charge the yeast cake was very low in trub so instead of rinsing the yeast with water I just poured the slurry into two mason jars. my question is on my next brew day approx. a month away will I still need a starter and if so how much of the slurry should I use, I do 10 gal batches with a 2l starter with a stir plate and my next beer will have an OG of 1.060.

You can check the amount on Mr. malty or other yeast pitch calculators. You should be fine without a stater.

Wort volume in liters x gravity in Plato = volume of slurry in ml.
Ex: 5.7 g @ 1.060 SG =
21.57 l x 15ºP = 323.5 ml
If you'd like: Ale x .75 Lager x 1.5

So in your case (allowing for .75 g trub loss):
10.75 g @ 1.060=
40.7 l x 15ºP = 610.5 ml

thank you, doing a little more research and I'm reading that the slurry should be used 7-10 days after racking, I would be keeping it in the fridge for approx. a month is this a major issue?

Well, ideally you'd repitch immediately, but if you disregard the .75 multiplier from the above formula, and go with 610-650 ml, it will most likely be fine. If you've been making a starter with a single month old pack or vial into 2l, you'd end up with about 365 billion cells, pitching the month old slurry gets you over 425 b. I'd just use the slurry as is. Here's a cool calculator:
http://www.yeastcalc.co/homebrew-calculators

Should be fine as long as you've got enough yeast, but I like to do a small starter with all of it just to get them woken up and ready to eat.

Back