Yeast Slurry Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy_84

Reaction score
I want to make a batch of skeeter pee. I keep reading about yeast slurry. First question do I need another batch of wine going to get the slurry or can I make a slurry just for the recipe. Second question if I can make it what's a good recipe?

Well, the idea is you want a lot of healthy, active yeast at the beginning of fermentation, as skeeter pee is a somewhat tricky fermentation for the yeast. You could get that by making a large yeast starter, if you don't want to make two batches of something. That would probably be more economical than making a batch of wine or something to start the yeast, but then you would just pitch the first thing it ferments so in a way it's more expensive too.
Unless there's something else specific you want to make, you could just get a wine kit to start the yeast on. That would be the obvious solution. You could also make Edwort's Apfelwein - it's a quite popular recipe.

just make a big yeast starter.
start out with 2 cups of water (100 degrees) add a litle yeast nutrient, and add yeast.
when yeast starts foaming good add 1/8 cup of your pee must, then wait 3/4 hr. and add1/4 cup of must, then keep adding 1/4 or 1/2 cup of must every 45 min or so till you have about a quart, then pitch. adding the must a little at a time acclimates the yeast to the high acid level in the must.
if i remember right this process was explained in the original sp thread the slurrey method was added later time for those that had other ferments going.

jim

Thanks I'll try it out this weekend to see what happens I guess I need to start keeping the slurry from my wines if this turns out good.

Skeeterpee -
exactly how to make it with and without a slurry. I will warn you however this stuff is dangerous. I have no idea why because it is only around 10% alcohol but I have seen it KO some pretty heavy drinkers FAST. It goes down smooth and easy....a twist I have done a few times is to add some flavored vodka to the finished product at bottling. 2 fifths per 5 gallons of smirnoffs strawberry or blueberry and it is even better IMO.

10% awesome I didn't get around to it this weekend I looked in my cabinet and noticed I was out of yeast energizer. I'll probably make it next weekend.

just make a big yeast starter.
start out with 2 cups of water (100 degrees) add a litle yeast nutrient, and add yeast.

Can you elaborate on "a little yeast nutrient" please?

The directions on my bottle of yeast nutrient says to add 1 teaspoon for every gallon of must. So, how much yeast nutrient is appropriate for a yeast starter that will end up being approximately 2.5 pints? 1/8 tsp., 1/4 tsp., 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp.?

Thanks

I used the slurry from my Apfelwein..what I did was add a bit of the skeeter pee, let it sit all day, then tossed the whole starter into the pee...it was fermenting within the next 4 hours...not vigorously, but it was starting...the next day it was going pretty strong. oh and I had the yeast nutrient, but no energizer...still worked fine...and raisins instead of tannin.

bmeyer46 said:
I used the slurry from my Apfelwein..what I did was add a bit of the skeeter pee, let it sit all day, then tossed the whole starter into the pee...it was fermenting within the next 4 hours...not vigorously, but it was starting...the next day it was going pretty strong. oh and I had the yeast nutrient, but no energizer...still worked fine...and raisins instead of tannin.

Can you explain the raisins instead of tannins? I didn't get tannins and started my pee 2 days ago. Think I could add the tannins the way you did?

there are tannins in the grape skins, so when dried to raisins..it's concentrated little tannin bombs...I THINK!!! I'm not and expert, but have read that the raisins can be used as a substitute.

what i did was make some low ach content strawberry pie wine for my wife and used the slurry off it im also going to experment with mixing for strawberry skeeter pee when they are done both will be around 10 percent sg 1070 for both

Back