Yeast slurry: pitching/is this infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFallopian

Reaction score
Hi all!

I racked Vienna lager at the weekend and wanted to save the slurry for a helles brew next weekend.

I decanted the slurry into two sanitized containers - a PET bottle and a kilner jar (see pics attached). I've been keeping the PET bottle in my kegerator and all seems fine with that. The Kilner has been in my general fridge, and looks like it may be infected, probably from wild yeast in the fridge - any thoughts? The yeast had settled out but suddenly it's in suspension and there is a ring of fine bubbles around the top.

With regard to the yeast in the PET bottle, how should I pitch it - decant the liquid off the top or just throw the whole thing in? Thanks!

2e6atsw.jpg

2r3hyet.jpg

Doesn't look infected but I'm no expert... when I was pulling from the slurry I would spoon, sanitized one, the middle layer (below the thin, above the thick) into the primary based on the mr malty, repitching from slurry:
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

UPDATE: the yeast has settled out again in the kilner jar, but the ring of bubbles around the edge remains.

Infection?

Doesn't look infected but I'm no expert... when I was pulling from the slurry I would spoon, sanitized one, the middle layer (below the thin, above the thick) into the primary based on the mr malty, repitching from slurry:
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

According to Mr Malty, I'd need 156ml of yeast slurry - the PET bottle is 500ml so there's more than enough (about 220ml) of slurry in there.

According to Mr Malty, I'd need 156ml of yeast slurry - the PET bottle is 500ml so there's more than enough (about 220ml) of slurry in there.

Hm, seems like there is enough in that bottle... I usually do it from a mason jar and maybe 6 good big spoonfuls?

It probably got enough aeration in it to start fermenting again when you transfered it over to the kilner jar.

Should I pitch from the slurry in the PET bottle rather than the Kilner jar, just in case?

Do I need to decant the liquid above the settled slurry before pitching?

Latest posts

Back