Yeast slurry from the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDBomber

Reaction score
ED960E14-7F88-405A-B082-934D25135D74.jpeg
Short on time and I’d like to brew today. Any reason I shouldn’t pitch this slurry from the Secondary of my last batch? Been in the fridge 48 hours. Making a similar Ale as the previous.

I would pitch it!

It looks like a reasonably amount of fairly clean yeast, and if it was just harvested 48 hours ago it should be ready to go. What size bottle is that? My general preference is to pitch the slurry from a 16 oz jar into a standard gravity 5 gal batch, but I have had good luck using a fresh 8 oz jar as well. My harvested yeast does not look as clean as yours.

Generally it's NOT advised to repitch yeast slurries from secondaries as they tend to contain the lower flocculating population of the strain. But if this was transferred fairly early to the secondary there should still be plenty of the higher flocculating population present. Given the amount you got, 4+ oz (?), this seems to be the case here.

I'd say it's fine to pitch as is. Even half of that (mixed thoroughly) should suffice for 5 gallons of <1.060 wort. Aerate/oxygenate well when pitching.

Back