Yeast: Should I be concerned by this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Opened a primary today to rack to secondary, so I could pitch the slurry to the wort I brewed today. The picture is what I found floating on the top.

2012-07-15%2018.46.36.jpg

This was my fourth all grain batch, about 14 extract and partials already under my belt (no pun intended). This was my first time using yeast 1051, had been using 001 up to now. This was also my first batch using my newly built fermentation chamber (Temp set to 66 degrees.) I tasted the wort and it tastes as expected (simple pale ale).

So is this just something I haven't seen before and is normal, or should I be concerned about the yeast? I haven't pitched the slurry to the new batch yet untill I get some input. Worse case I'll just go get some fresh yeast in the morning. Anybody seen this before?

Totally normal. And it's no indication of whether fermentation finished or not, it's just where the yeast decided to clump together.

hercher - Thanks! I went ahead and pitched the yeast this morning before work. *fingers crossed*

fbold1 - Took the FG when I racked it and it was about 1.006. Little lower then I wanted it, but I think that's because my efficiency was off. The SG was supposed to be 1.045 and it was only at 1.034.

Back