Yeast shelf life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
I saved some yeast from a pumpkin brew I did a couple of years ago, and its been refrigerated the entire time. What I was wondering was, could I use this yeast to build a starter. I read on here that 6 months is shelf life for yeast, so I'm a little tempted to just buy fresh yeast, but I just thought I would ask.
The yeast I have looks like the following,

yeast-pumpkin-ale.JPG

yeast-pumpkin-ale2.JPG

After a couple of years I doubt it's going to be any good, but the only way you're going to find out is if you make a starter out of it.

probably not viable, or worth the effort. I'd just spring for a new pack. Better than having fermentation issues from a sluggish unhealthy yeast.

I bet it will work fine. Yes, you will need a starter.

I often take a sample off of starters and they stay fine for a couple of years.

That is a long time, but might as well try a starter for a couple days unless you are in a hurry.

I don't think I'd waste a whole liter of starter wort just to find out. Maybe a small test amount with some cling wrap around the top of the jar/flask.

I look at harvested yeast that's been in my fridge for more than six months with a certain degree of suspicion.

Back