Yeast reccomendations for Cabernet Sauvignon??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vman

Reaction score
I have been making wine for years. I make a pretty good Cab. Sauv. But, we all know, it can always be better. One thing that making beer has taught me is how important yeast is to the outcome. For years I've trusted my supplier to give me yeast (or infuse my must with yeast) for me. This year I want to add it myself and try for something specific. I want the wine drier than it is, with a heavier mouthfeel (I am going to add corn sugar this year to the must to increase the brix of the must). But, have any of you tried the yeasts used by European wineries? Can you suggest a few to me?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...

VMan

For mouthfeel add a few bananas to the must. They will not effect the flavor, but will give you more of a mouthfeel. About one per galleon. Just wash, slice and add them. Some peellings are ok. They help the wine clear better and faster. Using some honey or agave will also add body. Just adding more suger will up your ABV or leave you with a sweet wine. I have used Lavin and Red Star yeast. Just pick one with an alcahole tollerence higher then youre starting sg. Otherwise you will end up with a sweet wine. Most online wine supply stores have a description of the different yeast strains. I have only made fresh fruit wines or wild grape wines. Maybe someone will chime in with their favorite wine grape yeast?

Cabernet Sauvignon is a bit tricky to work with. Since you have good experience with wine making, I won't talk about handling your tannin, acidity, or other aspects of ferementing Cabernet Sauvignon.

Since you're after mouthfeel, I'll recommend BM45. I'll go as far as saying it was isolated for Cabernet Sauvignon (well it wasn't, but it's that good). This is a recommendation by the old man, I'll do my best quoting him with the translation:
"It will help kill the grass taste it and bring out the berry and jam flavors, it also brings out interesting spicy flavors"

Here's a place from which you can buy it

Back