Yeast Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
Hello,

So I am getting ready to brew a 2.5 gallon batch and was wondering how much of the yeast in the picture attached to use (11g pack). Additionally it says to rehydrate the yeast which I have not done before and was looking for a little guidance. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• D174AB77-4903-45C2-B92D-345E293B4FEB.jpeg
    D174AB77-4903-45C2-B92D-345E293B4FEB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
To rehydrate, sterilize some water (boil then cool to 85° or so) and pour the yeast in but only half of the pack. Let it sit about 10 minutes then stir it in with a sanitized utensil like a spoon or straw (I use a chop stick). After 20-25 minutes total pour the yeast into your wort.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy...

Re-hydrating half the packet for a 2.5 gal brew would be fine.
I usually get my yeast ready at the end of the mash, re-hydrate, and let the yeasties energize themselves in weak wort in a covered beaker during the boil. You may see evidence of a whitish foam or froth as the yeast activates and gives off CO2 prior to pitching.

I normally brew 3 gallon batches and just toss in the whole pack without rehydrating. Rehydrating half a pack and worrying about the other half staying uncontaminated is a chore that I'd rather not bother with.

Latest posts

Back