Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrellQ

Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain 'Pliny the Elder' yesterday and things went great as I ended up with an OG of 1.072. For the 5 gallons that went into the fermenter, I pitched two packages of White labs WLP001 as I thought certainly two would be enough since I have only pitched one package of WLP001 on smaller beers and had decent results. Unfortunately, I read the instructions on the package after pitching and noticed that I should have pitched three packages for an OG over 1.065. I did not use a starter. I pitched at 5 PM yesterday and fermentation is going pretty vigorously this morning. What flavor effects, if any, will my mistake cause?

I brewed my first all grain 'Pliny the Elder' yesterday and things went great as I ended up with an OG of 1.072. For the 5 gallons that went into the fermenter, I pitched two packages of White labs WLP001 as I thought certainly two would be enough since I have only pitched one package of WLP001 on smaller beers and had decent results. Unfortunately, I read the instructions on the package after pitching and noticed that I should have pitched three packages for an OG over 1.065. I did not use a starter. I pitched at 5 PM yesterday and fermentation is going pretty vigorously this morning. What flavor effects, if any, will my mistake cause?
My pliny has been on gas 7 days, also wlp001 - sooo good.

Anyway, I don't think you'll notice anything, especially in this beer, and with wlp001. WLP001 is pretty much the standard, for good reason. Brewers aren't keen to broadly accept finicky or lazy yeast. Those yeast fit into niches, but the popular strains are pretty damn resilient in my experience.

Beyond the yeast, good luck picking up an off flavor or aroma in that beer. If someone does, give them another. 2 PTEs should sufficiently dull the senses.

Back