Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

actech

Reaction score
Why do the kits I been getting(brewers best & NB) say to pitch the yeast dry and the yeast packets say to hydrate first? Does it matter ? I'm sure there has to be some reasoning but as new as I am to this it probably doesn't matter

To keep the instructions as simple as possible for new brewers. Pitching dry will work. Rehydrating will make your yeast happier, and might improve your beer. I have done both with good results.

Yup - I agree with the above post from Slow Day. There is room for error by rehydrating (though it is very simple), but there's a chance a beginner could mess that up and think the company made a bad product. I always rehydrate with some yeast nutrient, but in all honesty, I don't know if I can taste the difference.

I rehydrate dry yeast in 80-90F spring water, 400ml worth in my erlenmeyer flask. I sanitize the empty yeast packet to cover the top of the flask after pouring it in. Let it sit & soak 15 minutes, then swirl/stir it in & let sit another 15 minutes. Let it cool down till the rehydrate is within 10 degrees of current wort temp for a healthy pitch. It cuts lag time & even speeds up fermentation in my experiences.

ok, makes sense. on the newbie messing it up. Until I get the stuff to rehydrate properly,I'll just keep doing as I am. All but 1 have been good so far and not sure if its a cheap prehopped kit I tried. Or two days into ferment the weather changed drastically and the house went from 68* to 75* in one afternoon at work. I moved all to basement for now till I locate a fridge to create fermentation chamber.

You can also lose up to 50% of the dried yeast cells pitching dry, compared to rehydrating them in warm water. I use 400ml of the spring water I brew with to rehydrate the yeast. The lil yeasties seem to like the slight mineral content they leave in the water, or add to it.

You don't need any fancy equipment to rehydrate yeast. Until I bought flasks and beakers I rehydrated in a plain ale glass.

It is best to pitch the yeast at about 30 minutes from the time the rehydration was started. After 30 minutes the rehydrated yeast will begin using reserve energy built into the yeast. Though forty-five minutes won't destroy the yeasts ability to start a good ferment.

I rehydrate using a Pyrex measuring cup and plastic wrap as a cover.

Back