Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARock_DK

Reaction score
Hi I am a relative beginner to homebrewing. Done a few full extract, and extract with specialty steeping grains on my own and helped out with a few partial mashes. I want to try out my first partial mash for a black IPA. I found a recipe that looks nice but I have a problem understanding the bit about the yeast. I will write it as written in the recipe:

Wyeast 1056(American Ale), White Labs WLP001 (California Ale), Fermentis US-05, Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) or White Labs WLP051 (California V) yeast

Does this mean to just choose one, or use them all? Sorry If it is a dumb question. I live in Denmark and the only one I have easily available is Wyeast 1056 (American Ale)

The Wyeast 1056, White Lab's WLP001, and Safale US-05 are all said to be the same yeast strain, or at least substitutes for one another. I would use the best yeast you can get your hands on which seems like the Wyeast 1056. I'd consult a site like mrmalty.com or yeastcalc.com to determine your starter size. Typically liquid yeasts require a starter to build up the yeast count for fermentation.

Those various choices are given to indicate yeast strains that complement the recipe well. Different yeast choices will impact the final flavor of the beer, though oftentimes, the various yeast manufacturers sell yeast strains that are essenially identical to those sold by other vendors.

Depending on your OG, a liquid yeast may require a starter. To make things easy on yourself, I'd just go with the safale 05. It's essentially the same strain.

Back