yeast problem maybe ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jshake

Reaction score
i bought some wyeast london esb 1968 at a home brew shop to put in my gumball head clone. i made a starter on my stir plate just like with all the yeast i use. After a day on the stir plate the yeast was clumped together like cottage cheese. i went ahead and cold crashed the starter. i called the shop were i got the yeast and asked them about how the yeast was clumped together and they seemed to think it would be fine so i went ahead and used it. keep thinking i should have just used some american yeast that i have washed in the fridge guess time will tell. what i was wondering is if anyone else has ran into this with there yeast before and if so was it ok ?

jshake said:
i bought some wyeast london esb 1968 at a home brew shop to put in my gumball head clone. i made a starter on my stir plate just like with all the yeast i use. After a day on the stir plate the yeast was clumped together like cottage cheese. i went ahead and cold crashed the starter. i called the shop were i got the yeast and asked them about how the yeast was clumped together and they seemed to think it would be fine so i went ahead and used it. keep thinking i should have just used some american yeast that i have washed in the fridge guess time will tell. what i was wondering is if anyone else has ran into this with there yeast before and if so was it ok ?

Totally normal for that strain, like a snow globe!

Back