Yeast pitching rates from slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radial67

Reaction score
Guys,

I know Mr Malty has a yeast pitching rate calc for slurry, but the batch i put in last night, i have obviously over pitched cos it blew the blowofftube out of the fermenter within 3 hours.

My Mr Malty pitchingrate was based off the harvest date, and then woken up in the morning with a DME starter on a stirplate.

Has anyone got a more accurate way of calclulating the pitching rate from slurry OTHER than Mr Malty or using a microscope???

P.S. Looks like im gonna have a acetylaldehyde beer in a day or so....

Blowoff is not really indicative of over pitching yeast... It is more dependent on the type of yeast, it's characteristics, and the amount of simple sugars available for the sacc to start eating right away.

I'd say don't worry about it at all. IMO, in a homebrewing environment it is somewhat hard to over pitch yeast. If you get a healthy fermentation that starts up quickly, then great, focus on temp control and go into hands off mode.

Latest posts

Back