Yeast Pitch Rate Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiknNutz

Reaction score
Based on a discussion in another thread, I am trying to understand the wide disparity between the Brewer's Friend calculator and real world results. In this particular case, I am planning on making a ~5G Zombie Dust Clone (5.62G into the Fermenter is the actual planned). In working thru the calculator, it indicates that either 4 dry packets of S-04 are needed, or 1 packet plus a 1.1L starter (stir plate assumed). However, folks that have actually made this batch say that only 1 packet was needed to successfully ferment to completion. Is the calculator overly conservative or what is the deal?

1596116468689.png

1596116523388.png

This thread may help. According to @friarsmith, Fermentis claims (at least unofficially) that a packet of dry yeast will have at least 150B viable cells, based on their testing. That equates to ~13 B/g, and that's what I use in the Brewer's Friend Cell Density field. That gets me in the realm of 1.5 packets of dry yeast for 5.5 gallons of medium-gravity (~1.050) wort. I'd rather overpitch than underpitch, and I don't mess with starters for dry yeast. I don't rehydrate or aerate prior to pitching dry yeast, either. **gasp** **swoon**

This thread may help. According to @friarsmith, Fermentis claims (at least unofficially) that a packet of dry yeast will have at least 150B viable cells, based on their testing. That equates to ~13 B/g, and that's what I use in the Brewer's Friend Cell Density field. That gets me in the realm of 1.5 packets of dry yeast for 5.5 gallons of medium-gravity (~1.050) wort. I'd rather overpitch than underpitch, and I don't mess with starters for dry yeast. I don't rehydrate or aerate prior to pitching dry yeast, either. **gasp** **swoon**

That is a good thread, though I still see quite a wide variety of responses. The overall tone does seem to indicate that less yeast is needed than we have been told. Up until my last batch, I did re-hydrate dry yeast. After reading enough on here, I decided to try pitching right from the packet. Beer turned out just fine and fermented very quickly, so that will be my method going forward...less futzing around.

It does seem that right around the 1.060 mark seems to be the tipping point of 1 or more packets. I think for this particular planned batch, I will go with 2 packets, just to be sure, but certainly not 4.

Latest posts

Back