Yeast packs for 2.5 gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringo311

Reaction score
Are the wyeast smack pack and white labs vials a good amount of yeast for 2.5 gallon batches. I didnt reach final gravity for my last two beers by quite a bit and im tasting some yeasty and green beer off flavors. Both beers are porters and I mashed around 150-153. I fermented both in ferm chambers around 66 for 3.5 weeks and cold crashed for 2 more weeks. I feel like I didnt treat the yeast properly in some way. I assumed the packs would be more than enough for a half batch. For the smack pack, the nutrients didnt break but I shook a lot and kept it out of the fridge for a few hours. Same with the WL which was WL 007. No starter or anything but shook and left at room temp and it was really clump. What are the things I can do to improve this process?

Are the wyeast smack pack and white labs vials a good amount of yeast for 2.5 gallon batches. I didnt reach final gravity for my last two beers by quite a bit and im tasting some yeasty and green beer off flavors. Both beers are porters and I mashed around 150-153. I fermented both in ferm chambers around 66 for 3.5 weeks and cold crashed for 2 more weeks. I feel like I didnt treat the yeast properly in some way. I assumed the packs would be more than enough for a half batch. For the smack pack, the nutrients didnt break but I shook a lot and kept it out of the fridge for a few hours. Same with the WL which was WL 007. No starter or anything but shook and left at room temp and it was really clump. What are the things I can do to improve this process?

One thing you could try is bringing the wort temp up before the cold crash, perhaps 72 for a day. That said, I always make a starter unless I am pitching dry yeast.

Break the nutrient pack. It will help unclump the yeast and get them energized for the beer. If it doesn't break the first try, try again. And again. It's not awfully hard, put it on a counter or flat surface, isolate the nutrient in a corner, and hit the corner hard.

And 1 pack should be fine for even a higher gravity 2.5G batch unless you're doing a lager or > 1.100 beer.

Back