Yeast Package adding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raider

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Pretty new to home brewing. I’m planning a 4 gallon batch of American IPA which I got a recipe for 1 or 5 gallon batch. I have adjusted it a bit because of local supply guy only has certain grains and hops.
Now the question is yeast, I have quadruped everything from the 1 gallon recipe. So technically I should use 2 packs because the original is use half a pack. But the 5 gallon says use 1 pack. Can anyone explain the difference?

It's much easier to measure 1/2 pack than to measure 1/5 so the one gallon kit took the easy way out. That much overpitch on the one gallon would not likely to be a problem.

Would say whole pack, but it really depends what the estimated original gravity of your beer is. One pack will work, but the higher the gravity, the more yeast you need. One thing new brewers do a lot is under pitch yeast because kits only come with one pack of dry yeast and if a beer is over 1.060 or so, you really should be using more.

Welcome to the hobby. As you get more into it, check out yeast calculators online. This is a good one. https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Thanks! I’ll play around with the calculator and see if I’ll need more then 1 pack in my 4G batch.

Back