Yeast Over Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrassBrewer

Reaction score
I did a double batch brew day the other day.

The first beer was a simple Session, light body, low ABV, etc.. I used a pack of Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast for it. The optimum temp for that yeast is: 57°-70°F

The second beer I did was a Doppelbock, used Fermentis Dry Yeast - Safbrew WB-06. I really enjoy using the Fermentis yeasts since they have such nice data sheets to go along with them. From the sheet:
  • 12-25°C (53.6-77°F) ideally 18-24°C (64.4-75.2°F)
  • for clover flavors : below 22°C (71.6°F)
  • for banana flavor: above 23°C (73.4°F)

So, now we get to my brew day. I chilled to around 65-68°F for each using my normal chilling method (probably as low as I could have gone). Re-hydrated the yeast per the directions and pitched into the carboys.

Everything normal, minus ambient temp. I had not noticed how hot it was in my basement. The next day, I went to check on things and the yeast was having a field day and my carboy temp stickers was reading around 79°F. I am sure some of this higher temp was due to the yeast a well since them churning causes heat.

I immediately threw both fermenters into their own larger buckets and added some colder water about halfway up each fermenter. I managed to get them both down to 70°F.

So, I guess my questions are:

Will these yeast strains be able to clean them selves up?
Did I ruin the beer after only a day or would I have needed to stay at the higher temp for longer?

Please let me know if you have experience with either of these yeasts as well. I've used Nottingham before, but not the dry wheat yeast. I've been doing mostly ales.

I used WB-06 at many different temperatures, even up to 26C. But i never had any luck with it. The beers always came out very dry and light.

So, I guess my questions are:

Will these yeast strains be able to clean them selves up?
Did I ruin the beer after only a day or would I have needed to stay at the higher temp for longer?

#1 Its hard to say, maybe, maybe not.
#2 I doubt the beer is "ruined", it will still be beer, but maybe not the flavor profile you were looking for.
I've used Nottingham before, its always very reliable in beer, but I've had it throw sulfur odor/flavor when using it in cider.
Cheap fermentation temperature control:
-Cardboard box, lined with 1" foam insulation
-A cheap thermometer
-Add carboy and place 1 or 2 liter frozen water bottles at the corners of the box
-Change out the ice every day or half day depending on what temperature you are trying to achieve.
You can easily maintain 10 degrees F below ambient temperature by using this setup.

@doomy well, it is a dry yeast, so it seems it was doing what it was supposed to. It should work out, since my doppel is supposed to be dry.

@madscientist, thanks for the tips. I have some spare foam from my keezer build that I plan on using for a fermentation chamber. Its just making it that I need to get around to. I did actually get the temp down, and can keep it 10degrees below ambient with the water bath method. the main worry is if that first night of pure yeast orgy action will really hurt things long term.

time will tell!

Small update. Seems being over temp for a day didn't ruin anything.

I took some gravity readings and had a taste. I predicted gravity was spot on, and there were no taste issues that I could sense.

going to start cleaning my lines and flushing the keezer to get ready to rack.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back