Yeast Options for Raspberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT_Keg

Reaction score
My FIL wants to brew 10 gallons (split batch) of Raspberry Wheat and bought the AG kits from Midwest Supplies; we plan on doing it in 3-4 weeks. I have a 10 gallon batch of Kolsch finishing up next week (also a split batch) and I used K-97 in one of the fermenters. I was thinking of reusing the K-97 in one of the wheat beers and a different yeast in the other.

1. If I put the K-97 yeast cake in a sanitized Mason jar (and store in a 36 degree refrigerator) can I just warm the jar to pitching temperature and then pitch the whole jar into one of the fermenters in 3-4 weeks? Or is there a better methodology for this?

2. What would be the preferred yeast in the case of a fruit wheat beer? (for the second fermenters)

Note: These batches will not be blended and will go into 2 separate kegs.

Thanks,

MT

My FIL wants to brew 10 gallons (split batch) of Raspberry Wheat and bought the AG kits from Midwest Supplies; we plan on doing it in 3-4 weeks. I have a 10 gallon batch of Kolsch finishing up next week (also a split batch) and I used K-97 in one of the fermenters. I was thinking of reusing the K-97 in one of the wheat beers and a different yeast in the other.

1. If I put the K-97 yeast cake in a sanitized Mason jar (and store in a 36 degree refrigerator) can I just warm the jar to pitching temperature and then pitch the whole jar into one of the fermenters in 3-4 weeks? Or is there a better methodology for this?

2. What would be the preferred yeast in the case of a fruit wheat beer? (for the second fermenters)

Thanks,

MT
Wyeast #1010, S-05 or Safbrew #WB-06 are all fine yeasts

Thanks,

MT
1: yes that works

2: this yeast is a bit unusual for this type of beer, but I think it should work really well as it is fairly clean.

Thanks All! I have never used WB-06. Do you have any fermentation temperature suggestions for this beer using WB-06?

Thanks All! I have never used WB-06. Do you have any fermentation temperature suggestions for this beer using WB-06?
Wb06 is actually more of a belgian yeast than a typical Wheat beer yeast. If that's what your after, that should be fine. If you are after a "normal" type of German wheat beer and want to use dry yeast, I would recommend Lallemand Munich Classic instead, which is supposed to be the Weihenstephan strain, a true German Hefeweizen Yeast.

Back