Yeast Nutrient Quantities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinterWarlock

Reaction score
So the LD Carlson yeast nutrient (containing diamonium phosphate and urea) suggests using 1 tsp. per gallon of must. I noticed MoreBeer sells straight DAP and they are recommending 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons. That's a serious difference for what I'm assuming is a pretty similar product. Should I stick with the LD Carlson recommendations, despite the fact that I'm working with wort, not must? I'm currently making a starter and want to avoid overdoing the nutrients. Thanks, amigos!

High levels of DAP is toxic to yeast; I would avoid using it in a starter.

For beer, I think Wyeast nutrient or White Labs Servomyces are better choices because they supplement zinc. ... Plus Fermaid O as needed for difficult fermentations.

I use 1/2 - 1 tsp in 5 gal depending on the gravity of the wort. The first time I used it I used 5 tsp per the directions and my FG ended up lower than usual

Thanks for the info! Seems every "video" of brewing involves a "couple tablets" of nutrient. I'm very new to the whole process and trying to learn as much as possible and not brew crappy beer. I don't need to be an expert, simply competent 🍻

All, are there specific types of beer where yeast nutrient is more or less desired?
Beers with added sugar in particular benefit from nutrient supplementation.

Adding a good yeast nutrient (i.e. not DAP) provides a safety net to avoid fermentation problems, regardless of the beer.

Back